You have just colored your hair. But you're not happy with its dry texture. You desire for some shine and gloss on your freshly dyed hair? With all the new hair treatments coming in the market, it’s very much possible now.
Just like lip gloss, there is a gloss for your hair as well now. Read on to know about the available hair gloss treatments, types of hair gloss and which one you should get for your hair.
- How To Do A Hair Gloss Treatment?
- Hair Gloss vs Hair Glaze
- How Long Does Hair Gloss Stay For?
- How Long Does A Hair Gloss Treatment Take At The Salon?
- How Can You Remove Hair Gloss?
What Is Hair Gloss & What Does It Do To Your Hair?
Hair gloss is a topical solution that prevents your colored hair from appearing dull and damaged. It adds shine to your hair and makes it appear soft.
Here are some of the benefits of hair gloss:
1. Repairs Damaged Hair
Gloss helps in reviving your hair and improving texture. It has ph-balancing properties that prevent frizz and deep-condition your hair.
2. Tones Down The Highlights
Gloss helps in reducing the brightness of your highlights. It gives your hair a more sober appearance that is the exact same color as you may want it to be.
3. You Don’t Have To Change The Color Of Your Hair
Hair glosses are of various types, some of which do not contain color. They just tend to deep-condition your hair.
4. It Is Not As Harsh As Permanent Color
Glosses have an acidic base. They close your cuticle, preventing environmental aggressors from entering. Hair color contains ammonia that damages the hair as it opens up the cuticle.
5. It Can Be Done At-Home
Applying a hair gloss doesn’t require too much mixing. It’s easy to apply and you can do it at home. Make it a point to read the instructions given on your bottle before you use it.
6. It Does Not Last Long
Hair glosses don’t last long and they don’t require much commitment. You don’t have to worry about getting hair gloss removed or re-done.
7. Eliminates Brassiness
Hair glosses are useful in getting your hair rid of brassy colors and allow them to blend well with your natural hair color.
8. Deep-Conditions Your Hair
Hair glosses are also used sometimes to deep-condition hair as they are acidic and tighten your hair cuticles.
How To Do A Hair Gloss Treatment?
At The Salon
- Your hair-dresser will apply the gloss from the roots down to your ends.
- He will let the gloss sit on your hair for about 20 minutes.
- When this is done, your hair-dresser will rinse off the gloss with shampoo and conditioner.
- Your hair-dresser may blow-dry your hair or allow it to dry-up on its own.
Choose A Hair Gloss
In order to improve the texture and shine of your hair, choose a gloss without color. This will reduce the pH level of your hair, keeping it from getting dry.
Enhance Your Hair Color
Choose a hair gloss within the same tone range as your color. If you are confused about which tone will actually suit your hair color and skin, visit the parlour.
How Should You Apply A Temporary Hair Gloss?
1. Shampoo Your Hair
Make sure your scalp and hair is cleansed for effectiveness. Rinse off your hair with cold water.
2. Apply Your Hair Gloss
Take about 3 pumps of hair gloss and apply it from the roots.
3. Leave On For About 5 Minutes
The leave-on product time may vary depending on the brand of your gloss. Make sure that you read the label thoroughly before applying the gloss to your hair, following which you must rinse it off with cold water.
4. Condition Your Hair
Condition your hair after you have washed off the hair gloss. Let your hair dry.
You can try repeating the procedure every 2-4 weeks to sustain the shine.
How Should You Apply Demi-Permanent Hair Gloss?
1. Choose A Color That Goes With Your Current One
Make sure that you choose the right color that matches your current one. Don’t go for a very different shade. It should not be more than 2 shades darker or lighter than your current tone.
2. Read Instructions Carefully
Make sure that you read the label before you start application of the product. Make sure that you don’t leave on the product for too long and shampoo and condition as per the bottle instructions.
Hair Gloss vs Hair Glaze
- Hair gloss works by penetrating through the shaft and sealing cuticles from within. Hair glaze works by coating your hair.
- Hair glaze doesn’t contain ammonia or peroxide. This does not change the color of your hair. It only covers grays. Hair gloss changes the color of your hair.
- Hair glaze is considered to be a semi-permanent option. It lasts for upto one to two weeks. If you go for a hair gloss treatment, it will last you upto a few months easily.
How Long Does Hair Gloss Stay For?
This mainly depends on the type of hair gloss you’re going for. In general, hair gloss may last up to about a month. Experts suggest that hair gloss usually fades away after 2 to 4 weeks.
How Long Does A Hair Gloss Treatment Take At The Salon?
A hair gloss treatment typically takes between 10 to 30 minutes. This usually depends on the density of your hair and how quickly it grabs the color.
How Can You Remove Hair Gloss?
1. Vitamin C
Vitamin C tablets may help fade your color. Vitamin C lightens the color that could also allow you to dye your hair again with another color.
How to use
Take a few Vitamin C tablets and crush them up. Add some water to form a paste. Use fingers to gently apply this paste to damp hair and leave it on for 1 hour.
2. Baking Soda
Baking soda is a natural bleaching agent. It tends to lighten your skin and hair color. So you can use it to remove your gloss.
How to use
Mix baking soda with a shampoo of your choice. Apply to your hair and rinse off with cold water. Repeating this process a few times will lighten your hair color.
3. Hair Color Remover
Hair color removers are available in the market that can completely help you get rid of your color. You can invest in one if it is affordable for you.
How to use
Apply hair color remover as suggested by the brand. You may have to use it a few times to be able to actually see your color fade away.
4. Hot Oil Hair Massage
Hot oil helps strip away the color from your hair. It also works as a great conditioner. This may take a few washes as it gently removes dye from your hair. You can use any oil of your choice.
How to use
Heat-up the oil and apply to your hair. Leave on for 1 hour or so and rinse off with shampoo and cold water.
Hair gloss keeps your hair from getting damaged and enhances your hair color as well. It also prevents your hair from getting dry and frizzy, eliminating brassiness. Hair gloss can be temporary or demi-permanent. You can get a hair gloss treatment done at the salon by a professional or do it yourself at home. If you are not satisfied with the results after using hair gloss, you can remove it using easy at-home methods mentioned above.
Begin By Knowing Your Skin
You Might Also Like
- 5 Easiest Ways To Repair Damaged Hair Without A Salon Visit
- Deep-Conditioning Your Hair - Benefits, DIYs, Dos and Don’ts
- Hot Oil Treatment For Hair - All You Need To Know
- How To Remove Color From Your Hair At Home?
- Hair Oiling Benefits - How To Apply It?