Skateboarding isn’t allowed everywhere. You need to carry your board in prohibited areas when not in use, but that can be a hassle. That’s where the backpack comes in handy. Here, we’ll explain a practical guide to carry a skateboard on a backpack safely and freeing both hands.
It is advised to invest in a backpack that is especially designed to carry a skateboard like a pro. These bags come in different sizes, and have compartments and padded stripes that help to secure the board in place. You can also use your everyday backpack to carry a board, but that will require some extra effort.
Read about skateboarding laws and rules and where is it allowed.
- How To Carry A Skateboard On Backpack
- How To Carry A Skateboard On Backpack With Straps
- How To Carry A Skateboard On Backpack With Clips
- The Easiest DIY Way To Put A Skateboard On Backpack
- How To Make Your Own Skateboard Backpack
- Benefits of Carrying a Skateboard on Backpack
- Can You Ride A Skateboard With Backpack On?
- Last Words
How To Carry A Skateboard On Backpack
Practically, most skateboarders use straps to carry their boards while traveling. Some riders make use of the clips to put their skateboards on their backpack.
Eventually, it comes to your personal preference. However, we’ll describe all the possible methods in simple steps.
How To Carry A Skateboard On Backpack With Straps
With a few simple steps, you can learn how to strap your board on your backpack like an experienced skater and get out on the town. Read on for tips on carrying your skateboard like a pro!
Before you can carry your board, ensure it’s prepared.
- Make sure all four wheels are securely attached.
- Tighten all bolts that hold the trucks in place, and check that they are not too loose or too tight.
- Clean off any dirt or debris from the top of the board – no one wants mud stains on their bag!
Now that your board is prepped, it’s time to attach it to the bag.
- Place the skateboard at the specified area on the backpack, and make sure the grip tape faces the padded area of the bag and the wheels and trucks face outward.
- Wrap the straps around the deck on the area between both trucks, or you can wrap them beneath both trucks – up to you.
- Fasten the straps tightly to secure the board in place, do not leave any room for the board to move.
That’s it, your skateboard is safely placed on the backpack to carry it around easily. Just one last time, try to move and shake the bag a little to ensure the secure fit of the straps.
Now you can put the backpack on your shoulders and walk freely without worrying about damaging your skateboard.
If your backpack doesn’t have straps, you can also use clips to fasten your board onto the top or side of your bag.
How To Carry A Skateboard On Backpack With Clips
So you are headed out the door, skateboard in hand, ready to hit the streets. But wait! It’s not practical or safe to carry your board everywhere you go.
Don’t worry, fellow skaters – With a few handy clips, you can easily attach your skateboard to any backpack and take it wherever you need to go.
To secure your skateboard on a bag with clips or carabiners, follow these steps:
Prepare your board as mentioned above and place it on the bag where desired. Make sure the grip tape faces the padded area of the bag while the wheels and trucks are facing outward.
Attach the clips to the board. Place one clip at each corner of the board and adjust them accordingly.
Now attach the clips to backpack loops or holes. Make sure it is tightly attached through each loop or hole on the bag.
If you aren’t willing to do all this hassle, just invest in a skateboard backpack and carry a board on your back like a pro.
The Easiest DIY Way To Put A Skateboard On Backpack
If there are no straps on your backpack or there are no holes to attach clips either, there is another easiest way to put a skateboard on your backpack for easy carrying.
Note: you can use this method to attach a board to any kind of backpack – isn’t it great? Yeah, it is!
1. Use any lanyard you have in your drawer, which you used to hang your school card or office badge around your neck.
2. Loop the lanyard across the shoulder straps of the backpack.
3. Now, place one truck of the board near the loop (preferably the one from the nose end) and cross the lanyard around it.
4. Keep in mind to cross one end of the lanyard from under the truck and the other end from over the truck.
5. Finally, hook the lanyard to itself, securing the truck nicely – all done!
This is the most economical and easiest way to hold a board on your backpack.
Note: a better way is to use two lanyards and loop one around each wheel of a truck.
A simple way to hang a board on your backpack - video tutorial.
We recommend investing in a good quality skateboard backpack if you want to carry an electric skateboard for better protection and safety.
How To Make Your Own Skateboard Backpack
As we see many skateboarders stick their boards in between the shoulder straps and carry them on their backs. Although it is possible, however, it gets irritating and uncomfortable after a while.
But, if you are creative and want to take on a DIY project, why not make your own skateboard backpack?
You will need the following materials:
- A backpack
- Nylon straps
- Quick release plastic buckles
- Needle and thread
- Cigarette Lighter
Follow these steps:
1. Cut the straps as per your desired length, and make sure you measure the deck width first.
2. Seal the ends of the straps using the lighter so that they don’t fray.
3. Place the straps on your backpack in the desired position.
4. Sew the straps to the bag using a needle and thread or hot glue and clasps.
5. Now, attach the buckle to the straps, just like a belt buckle.
Congratulations, all done! You have created your own skateboard backpack.
A video guide on making your own skateboard backpack at home.
Benefits of Carrying a Skateboard on Backpack
There are several advantages of carrying a skateboard in a backpack.
- It is the safest way to carry your board around, as it helps keep the grip tape and wheels away from dirt, dust, and moisture, which can cause damage over time.
- The straps provide extra security so that the board doesn’t slip or move around while you walk, avoiding any kind of external damage that can occur while carrying a board in hand.
- It is the most convenient way to carry a skateboard and keep your hands free, as you don’t need to hold the board with one hand at all times.
- It also looks super cool and stylish – what better way to show off your skateboard other than on a backpack? So grab your backpack and carry your skateboard confidently on it.
Can You Ride A Skateboard With Backpack On?
Yes, technically you can ride a skateboard with a backpack on. However, it is not the most comfortable riding experience as your back will be extra weighed down and affect your balance while skating.
Skateboarding with a backpack can be quite dangerous and not recommended as it limits your range of motion and makes it difficult to maintain balance.
It can affect your balance and increases the chances of falling off, which can lead to serious injuries. Therefore, wear your backpack properly and make sure that there is no excessive weight in the bag that might throw you off balance.
Try to avoid any stunts or tricks while riding with a backpack on as it can put additional strain on your back and also increase the risk of falling off. Make sure to always remove your backpack before attempting any tricks or stunts while skating.
It is always safer to ride without a backpack, but if you must carry one, make sure it is tightly strapped on your back and secured at all times.
Also, distribute the weight of the backpack evenly so that it doesn’t put too much pressure on one side of your body.
It’s best to take off your backpack and carry it in hand or leave it behind before you hop on the board.
Whether it’s a quick jaunt around town or an epic journey across state lines, a skateboard backpack is the most convenient way to carry a skateboard all along wherever life takes you. It can be an easy, safe and stylish way to take your board wherever you want.
With the help of straps or clips, your skateboard can be securely attached to the backpack for convenient transport.
You can either purchase an especially designed skateboard backpack or customize a normal one to carry a board like a pro.
Frequently Asked Questions: (FAQs)
How do you carry a skateboard on a regular backpack?
You can carry a skateboard on a regular backpack by using lanyards or straps.
For example, if there are no holes or straps on your backpack, use any lanyard and cross it around the shoulder straps of the backpack. Place one truck near the loop and cross the lanyard around it. Hook the lanyard to itself, securing the truck nicely.
Alternatively, you can use straps or clips to attach the board to the backpack.
How do you carry a skateboard?
You can carry a skateboard in your hand, on your back or in a bag. The most convenient way to carry the board is in a backpack as it keeps your hands free and helps secure the board from external damage.
Can a skateboard fit in a bag?
Yes, a skateboard can fit in a bag. A good quality skateboard bag is designed to hold and protect the board from external damage during transportation. It also helps in keeping the grip tape and wheels away from dirt, dust, and moisture which can cause damage over time.
How do skaters carry their boards?
Skaters usually carry their boards under their arms, wheels and trucks facing outwards (it is the correct way). However, lately, most skaters have started carrying their skateboards in backpacks to protect their boards during transportation.
- Latest Posts
Founder at Skateboardgeek
I got inspired by my father after watching him performing heroic tricks on a skateboard. Started at the age of 8 and performed in multiple competitions, now I coach professionals for tournaments. It's not just a sport for me - more like a passion and meditation! After years of experience with different skateboarding products, here are my reviews about Best Skateboard Brands and Best Skateboard for Beginners. It's an era of technology, you can also check unbiased reviews of Best Electric Skateboards. You can also read Benefits of Skateboarding.
Latest posts by Eddie (see all)
- Best Electric Skateboard for Big Guys – (Heavy-Duty E-Boards) - June 3, 2023
- Skateboard Clothing Brands – Where Fashion Meets Skate Culture - May 31, 2023
- 90s Skateboarding Brands – Reviving Popular Skate Companies - May 28, 2023
- How To Clean A Skateboard Like A Pro? Easy DIY Cleaning…
- How to Clean Skateboard Bearings Like a Pro - Expert Tips…
- How to Take Trucks off a Skateboard Like a Pro? [The Right…
- How to Stop on a Skateboard - Brake Guide for Beginner to…
- How to Push on a Skateboard without Falling – Pro Guide
- How to Clean Skateboard Wheels for a Fresh Ride [Easy Steps]
- Best Skateboard for Beginners In 2023 - Tested [Easy to…
A normal backpack can be used to carry your skateboard, as long as you secure it with straps. If you buy a specific skateboard backpack, the job just becomes easier. Bigger backpacks may even allow you to fit your entire skateboard inside - no straps needed.Is it illegal to bring a skateboard on a plane? ›
Skateboards are allowed in carry-on bags.Can I take a penny board on a plane? ›
They generally don't allow skateboards as carry on items because they take up more room on the aircraft. Of course, this depends on the airline and you should check their size limit for sports equipment. For example, a smaller board, such as a penny board may be allowed.How many carry-on bags allowed? ›
The FAA has limited passengers flying within the United States to one piece of carry-on luggage and one personal item. Personal items may include: handbags, briefcases, laptops, daypacks and small backpacks.Can I strap my skateboard to my carry-on? ›
Skateboards are allowed in carry-on bags. Please check with your airline for any size or weight restrictions. For more prohibited items, please go to the 'What Can I Bring?' page.Can I put skateboard trucks in my carry-on? ›
Disassemble Your Skateboard and Bend the Rules
Just remove your trucks and put them in a backpack, your deck doesn't take up too much space and can be stowed in an overhead bin.
Many airlines allow you to bring your skateboard on board as carry-on baggage as long as it doesn't exceed the dimensions and weight of the carry-on baggage allowance. Skateboards are also allowed to be transported as checked baggage, seeing it doesn't exceed the baggage policy.